Supporting inclusion, belonging and faith formation for every age and ability. Working alongside and with disabled people and those with additional needs, as a speaker, consultant, advisor, trainer and writer.
The Working Me
I’ve been in full time ministry for over 28 years and before that I was a nurse specialising in children with disabilities and additional needs.
I joined Children Worldwide 27 years ago, and was general director with my hubby Steve for many years. We are still members!
I’m passionate about, speak, write and deliver training on:
- Building lifelong faith in anyone with an additional need or disability.
- Seeing disabled people and those with additional needs included in the whole life of the church.
- The church reaching out to people in their communities – regardless of age, need or ability.
- I’m also passionate about seeing those with additional needs and disabilities being mentored and released into ministry and encouraged to follow their God given gifting.
What I do often tends to be in the name of other people and organisations – which I love. This ministry is not about me, it’s about Kingdom work. As you will see from my rather neglected blog – I’m usually writing for other people.
To help you, here’s a summary of what I do:
- Co-Founder of the Additional Needs Alliance.
- Advisor on Additional Needs/Disability for children, youth and adults.
- Trainer of those working with and alongside children, youth or adults who have additional needs and disabilities in any faith setting. (Bespoke training tailored to need, free to churches with limited financial resources.)
- An Evangelical Alliance Council Member.
- Disability and Additional Needs Advisor to Spring Harvest.
- Disability consultant to many faith based organisations.
- Part of Home For Good’s Council of Reference.
- Part of ‘Churches For All’, as an associate representing the Additional Needs Alliance.
- A blogger (as the Pondering Platypus) – when I have time!
- Regular writer and part of the editorial team (disability specialist) for Christian Today.
- An occasional writer for the Youth and Children’s Work Magazine and many other publications.
- The person behind the Pondering Platypus Resources – accessible creative prayer ideas for families in the home (But also usable in a church context)
- And many other things that sometimes appear. (The ‘many other things’ list is growing!) There’s now lots of recordings of my training, interviews and presentations out there!
Prior to This I was:
- National Director of Children Worldwide – alongside my lovely hubby Steve. Stepped down January 2016
- Chair of the ‘Children Matter!’ Coalition (FaithFull Generation). Stepped down September 2021
- My Council of Reference: (The link between Children Worldwide & my Church) Ruth Dunning (Chair), Kathryn Parker, Ray & Marion Lovejoy
- The Leadership of my ‘sending’ church where I am a mission Partner. (Knighton Free Church)
- The Trustees of Family Foundations Trust (Via Children Worldwide)
I strongly believe in the need for good accountability and maintaining integrity in all I do. I publish this information here to allow transparency, and give a place to raise any concerns or ask questions. Please do contact my sending church or Children Worldwide if you have any concerns.
The Everyday Me:
- A shy introvert who loves knitting, crochet and writing.
- Gadget geek who appreciates real coffee (lactose free milk & one sugar please!)
- Dislike tea most of the time.
- Definitely hate ironing…..
- Married to the gorgeous Steve.
- Just happen to be disabled – but it doesn’t stop me (I either use a four wheeled beast-ette called ‘Pippin’, or a foldable lightweight power chair called ‘Betsy’ to get around. They are interchangeable depending on circumstances, comfort required, and the transport I need to access getting to meetings) You can find out more about about my conditions here, but I’ll warn you – it’s quite boring!
- If people say or assume I can’t do something because of my disability – my common reply is: #JustWatchMe